Bach Stradivarius  
Bb Trumpet, #56662

Back Story

        ​​​​This instrument was purchased by the aunt of a band director friend of mine.  She frequently goes to garage sales                 and saw this trumpet and immediately thought of her nephew, as he was a trumpet player.  The trumpet was purchased for a mere $25!  He brought it to me and opened the case....wow, what a mess!  The bell was crumpled like a tin can, the threads on the bottom of the valve casing were badly damaged, every slide was cemented in place (even the 3rd valve slide), and what was left of the lacquer was deteriorating and flaking off.  Aside from the lacquer, the vast majority of the trauma done to this trumpet was no accident.  So, what happened?!  If only this trumpet could tell the story of abuse that it had endured!  My friend and his aunt thought that this was just a piece of junk that at most could be turned into wall art or a lamp.  I saw an absolute gem from 1971 that needed to be resurrected and enjoyed, so he and I agreed on a price and I got to work.     
  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director
  5. Managing Director
  6. Managing Director
  7. Managing Director
  8. Managing Director
  9. Managing Director
  10. Managing Director
  11. Managing Director
  12. Managing Director

Work Performed

        After a thorough inspection and assessment, I began work on this project by completely stripping the                         lacquer, freeing the slides and chemically cleaning the instrument.  I then completely disassembled it and laid out all of the separate parts.  Each of the parts were stripped of all solder and remaining lacquer.  I try to always start with the most severely damaged parts and work my way back through the rest on that priority basis.  So, in this case I started with that tin can of a bell section, which took me 3 days of labor alone.  Once I worked through the rest of the parts, truing and detailing them, it was time for reassembly.  The trumpet was then aligned and reassembled.  It was then lubed up and given a thorough play testing, yes, finally it was playable and what a great player it was!  It was then given a final detailing, chemical cleaning and buff.  At this point it was prepped for plating or lacquer, but the customer requested a raw brass finish.  Below is the end product and believe it or not, it plays even better than is looks!    
  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director
  5. Managing Director
  6. Managing Director
  7. Managing Director
  8. Managing Director
  9. Managing Director